Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

let Me teach you... Part 1

Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light"


Learn from God? How can I learn from someone whom I can't see nor hear? How can I even learn from someone who does not even understand the problems that I am going through now, the crazy and ugly world that I am living in now, the horrendus boss who only knows to spit fire at me all the time. Who is He to give me advice on the situation that I am in now?

That must be on Jonathan's mind throughout the sermon after a week of thrashing by his boss. Going to church has never been Jonathan's idea, if not for his wife. He enjoys the melody of the songs during worship, but never the repetitive lyrics that always revolve around Jesus. He loves the outgoing pastor who never fails to get the attention of his audience, but always has doubts over the message delivered.

"If Jesus is real, then He must have disliked me so much as to put me in such environment!"

This sentence alone is what Jonathan believes strongly in - a sentence that can disprove everything that has been preached about God thus far. "Yes, there may be a God, but He is a unfair one, and one who doesn't know how to care for His creation."

Don't you think all these sound somewhat familiar? If God is real, why is there so much evil and suffering in the world? If God is fair, why then let the righteous suffer and the evil prosper? God, why am I in such a state? Why is life so miserable for me, yet so enjoyable and meaningful for others. Why am I bedridden? I thought you are a healing God? Why? Why? Why the injustice and ugliness of mankind? Why do You say that You are perfect when everything else seems so imperfect?

The many many unanswered whys have led many christians away from church and pre-believers to avoid the church. Yet interestingly, while the many whys seem to put God in such a bad limelight, God, in His Word, tells us to learn from Him. Learn from a God who is so unfair? Hmm, that may drive more away from the church at first thought.

No comments: