Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My Life: The Diminishing Fire

After I accepted Christ as my King of Kings, I was hot for Him. I wanted to learn and know more about Him. However, I did not know who to approach. There weren’t any mentors or spiritual leaders to help me and guide me, and very soon, I was well on my way to backsliding. To make the matter worst, I continued to sin even though I knew that God hated sin. Lies, hatred, disobedience and lust are but a few of the sins I had.

I continued to lie to my parents each week in order to go to church, and this went on for at least 5 to 6 months. Brothers and Sisters, I want to let you know that God hated lies, because it is a sin, and sin is of the devil. Lying in order to go to church is not honoring and glorifying God, it just implies that you are ashamed of the gospel. I was not only ashamed of the gospel, I was afraid of ‘persecution’ from my friends and family members. “I love and trust in God” was in my mouth; “Lord, I am ashamed to let people know I am a Christian” was in my heart. What a hypocrite I was then.

In the Ten Commandments, God said that we have to honor our parents. Not only did I disobey my parents, I disobeyed God. I spoke to my parents with attitude because I thought they were pretty annoying. I had wings to fly and no longer would I need my parents to interfere, or so I thought. I was so ignorant.

During these few months after my conversion, my friendship with my junior who brought me to church came crushing down. I began to dislike his presence and his character. It came to a point that we broke off our ties. Are Christians supposed to lead this kind of life? NO! God said in His Words that we have to ‘love thy neighbours as thyself’, that is to say that we have to love everyone, including our enemies, because we are all God’s creation. We should let Jesus deal with each one of us, and not take matter into our own hands because His ways are higher than our ways; He has better plans than we have.

Things weren’t as rosy as I would expect it to be after accepting Christ. Ain’t Christ supposed to change my life? Yes, He will change our lives, but we have to first, follow His ways and fully obey His Words. I didn’t read His Words nor followed His ways, nor did I open my heart completely to Him for Him to change me. My faith in Him was as good as zero. I was backsliding…

Next: My Life: God, Changed Me!

No comments: