Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

Blessings from God

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."


It was an email. It was an email that opened the floodgates, followed by the streams of tears that came naturally. It was a moment of joy and delight. No, It was more than that; It was a moment of awe for Jesus. The many months of struggle, of emotional hurts and of uncertainties, with the many months of surrendering and believing that God will provide, God made it clear once and for all on that very day I received that email.

Wonder what the email was about?

The email read, "We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for the Health Science Scholarship (Diploma with Degree Conversion) in Physiotherapy, tenable for 3 years in Nanyang Polytechnic and 1 year in an overseas university."

In November last year, I decided to ask God to show me His will in my life and of course, the course that I should take for my tertiary education. It was after 2 years of thinking and wondering what I want to do in the future and finally reaching the end of the road that I realised that I have gone in the wrong direction. Like the parable of the prodigal son, God ran to me when I made the decision to come back to Him.

He diverted my attention away from all the glamourous courses towards a course that most students won't think about studying - Physiotherapy. I was filled with doubts but God showed me that He was going to use me mightily in this area and I obeyed Him. Then came the strong opposition from my parents who were very against the idea of studying physiotherapy because I had to go through a polytechnic education which they thought was second-class. I was very upset and hurt, and the breaking point was when they threatened to disown me if I were to choose this path. I was heartbroken and had absolutely no idea what I was supposed to do. I couldn't tell them that this course is from God because they weren't christians. I was very lost.

Chris told me to press on and coninue to trust in the Lord, and I did. I prayed and believed that God's Will will be done in my life, and He did. My parents became more accepting and even my elder brother whom I had a relationship breakdown a few years back spoke for me. It was amazing and it became much clearer to me that this was and is indeed God's perfect Will for my life.

I decided to apply for a scholarship for this course so as to appease my parents, who in their hearts, were still very unwilling to accept my decision. As school drew closer, I began to doubt and there was just so much uncertainty regarding this course and whether I would be able to do well for it. At one point I even regretted choosing this. I prayed and prayed and asked God for His strength.

School started, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed studying this course. Last thursday, I went for the scholarship interview. I was pretty unprepared but I believed that God was with me and even allowed me to gain the favour of the interviewers who seemed to be enjoying my presence. Even though I was offered the scholarship, I knew deep down that it wasn't because of me that I got the scholarship, it was 100% God. Without God, I have nothing.

Like what Chris said, "this scholarship affirms my position in physiotherapy." I am so honoured to be so loved by God, knowing that His Will is unfolding in my life right now. My parents too, are glowing with delight now.

Looking back, what I saw wasn't just the email, it was beyond that. I saw God's miracle hands working through my life. I saw a God who's love is unfailing, a God who's provision is more than enough for me, a God who knows what's best for me. I cried because I was touched by our awesome God.

What else can I say about this amazing God who makes all things work for the good for those who love him, who are called according to His purpose?

No comments: