Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thus Far

Ebenezer, formed by 5 God-fearing musicians from Faith Community Baptist Church (FCBC), is the up-and-coming band in Singapore. Their lives are reflections of how amazing our God is, of how God can use our weaknesses to glorify His great name. Having performed in a number of gigs, including "What Last Friday Was For" - A Good Friday Harvest Gig and "Ebenezer in the Basement", they are gaining popularity in this nation. Below is their hit song, "Thus Far", which reflects our reliance on God, our need for God, and our rest in God.

Note: Scroll down to the music player on the right and click on "Thus Far" to listen.

Thus Far
Words and Music by Chris Seow (Ebenezer)

Verse 1:
In the Lord,
I find my rest.
In the shelter of His wings,
In the shadow of the Almighty One.


And I know,
My life is in His hands.
Through the winding roads and bends,
He’ll guide my way.


Pre-Chorus:
Thus far has the Lord helped me.
Whom shall I fear now? Him shall I follow after.
Thus far has the Lord been my strength.
Him I shall trust.


Verse 2:
Through the storm,
He is my peace.
He calms the raging seas,
His power made perfect when I am weak.

In His word,
I find my hope.
And my whole life I know
He holds me close.


Chorus:
Lord my God, Carry me. In your loving arms and
Lead me close, to your heart. Let me live in your glory.
Cover me, with your grace. Into your hands I surrender.
As I walk, in trust and faith.


Bridge:
Time and time again,
You’ve shown yourself faithful, faithful to me.
Oh how can I deny
Your love in my life.
For You are good
So good.


Chris Seow of Ebenezer explains the meaning of the song, "Thus Far":

'Thus far' is a song which carries an important fundamental of our everyday lives - dependance on God. The main theme, 'Thus far has the Lord helped me', comes from 1 Samuel 7:12, where Samuel set up a stone declaring the Lord's help after the Israelites won their territory back from the hands of the Philistines. Interestingly, that rock was named 'Ebenezer' (this was also how we came up with our band name). The Lord is our stone of help, solid rock in whom we can trust.

'Thus far' begins with a quiet knowledge of who God is. 'In the Lord, I find my rest... I know my life is in his hands... Through the storm He is my peace... In his power I find my hope...' Indeed, the Lord is all these things, and in the knowlege of who He is, we find the rest to lean on Him. The pre-chorus also sends a reminder that 'thus far has the Lord helped me' and in that God whom has helped us thus far, we indeed can place our trust!

Something that means a lot to me as the songwriter is how within the song, there is an integration between the quiet assurance of who God is and the utter desperation for His presence. With the entry of the chorus, a new sound emerges, and a new cry, one directed at God. It is an outcry to God to carry us through. From addressing yourself in the verses, there is an obvious turn to addressing God. The chorus is ultimately a prayer, and its words are not uncommon to our everyday prayers and desperation for God in our lives.

One of the most meditative points of the song is the bridge, which continues in the prayerful mood. Once again, we are reminded of God's great love.
'Thus far' is a song that came out from my heart during a rough point in my life, in the army. I do not remember what exactly I was doing, but I remember it was raining. And I remember walking in the heavy downpour crying out to God 'Lord my God! Carry me in your loving arms'. Indeed, this is our cry not only in the tough times, but in every single moment of our days! How we need God and depend on His help!

No comments: